Monday, April 30, 2012

SQUAW CREEK CRIT

RACING AT SQUAW CREEK.
Seven of the Spokes showed up for this Cedar Rapids Crit/Circuit Race.
Hopefully there'll be more pictures, stories and reports in the next few days.
But today it is about adjusting/change/maturing....
A PEEK UNDER THE ARM.  

CHECKING OUT MY FRIENDS.
The squaw Creek venue is a fast and fun race course.
The good folks from the Hawkeye Bike Association Racing  always put on a great race
and I look forward to participating in all of their events.
Kat and I headed out early in the morning and discussed our goals for the race.
Neither of us had great expectations.
Kat's line is - I just want to be respectable.
I hoped to do well with the 60+ Cat and to be "respectable" with the 40's and 50's.
TIME TO ADJUST/ MATURE...
There was a time when I could and did dominate the 50+ Cat.
But not with the likes Cat I's and II's -
Lu W. Jeff Bradly, Greg Harper, Tom Eaton, Chris Eastburn and many more in the 50's.
We had a separate 60+ Cat, but we lined up with the 40's and 50's
I can no longer race with the 50's and 40's
Soon after the gun it was very obvious that I was not going to be in the mix of the main race.
Instantly, there were several of us racing - just "to be racing" - Conn Day
In the above picture
Brian Soppe - HBA Racing - and Richard G and I settle in during the second of eight laps
After Brother Richard Gilmore couldn't keep the pace Brian and I kept on.
For a lap or two Brain would lead on the downhill section
and then I would take over for a nice routine.
Don't you just love to ride hard and efficiently with others?
Mid race Brian started to struggle and we made the adjusts to keep him in the game.
I slowed on the hill and backed off a little on the rest of the course
and we had an excellent time finishing the race.
It was pleasure working with and helping Brian.
After the race I congratulated Brian for the good racing and told him how glad I was to ride with him.

THE GOOD PART.
And he said - "I 'll never forget this - never".
I believe I was respectable and better than winning anything.


2 comments:

  1. A fine report and so true to the sport. Well done John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But at least you dominate the 60+ class. Look forward to coming back next month and hopefully give you some competition

    ReplyDelete